Sunday, March 25, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake Revelations

Not a food blogger, but I had to share!
Made a special trip to Sam's Club last week for Strawberry Shortcake supplies.Yes, I eat enough of it to justify Warehouse quantities. BUT I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG! As I checked out the over eager, nearly over talkative cashier expounded about how she thought Strawberry Shortcake was too dry and she added a bit of milk to her's. "I don't drown it or anything."
Nearly 29* years of making this meal. (Yes, I use it as Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and occasionally dessert) And never had I thought to add a bit of milk to the bowl. So, after her very exuberant explanation of her process and reasoning I thought I'd give it a try. Over the past week I've tried a few different combinations.
AND NOW I HAVE THE PERFECT STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE!
1. Slice four to five standard strawberries. Into the bottom of the bowl.
2. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of sugar or Splenda. (I do this first so they have time to get a little juicy.)
3. Slice off a tenth of an angel food cake. (if you make your own and want to get fancy add a package of lemon jello mix before you bake it.) (I'll use any excuse to incorporate lemon.)
4. Place angel food cake into bowl and spoon the strawberries over top.
5. Add 1/4 cup milk (I like vanilla soy milk)
6. Top with whatever you consider to be an exorbitant amount of whipped cream.
TADA!
7. Share with those you love.
8.They say, "Thank you."
6.5 days.

2 comments:

  1. i should make my great grandmothers recipe for shortbread and bring it to work sometime.... it's beyond amazing. she used to top hers with half and half.... i prefer half a container of cool whip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome, I am obsessed with Strawberry shortcake if any type.

    ReplyDelete