Tuesday, April 10, 2012

30 ain't half bad

   The dreaded day came and passed and I'm amazingly not twenty something. 



Still alive and breathing (about five pounds heavier after all the celebrating).  Still the occasionally "What have I done with my life?!?" moment, but all said and done 30 --- didn't kill me.  This is thanks, in no small part, to the best friends and family that a girl could ask for.

Honorable mention to a girly who makes me feel old every time the fact that she's younger than my baby sister comes up.  She gave me one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received for my birthday.  It was about the time, planning and absolute caring that went into the gift. A thirtieth birthday survival kit of sorts, and it was totally personalized. It was not so much the gift itself as the fact that it helped me appreciate those things I have accomplished. (Mind you all of this reflection was after almost having a Sheldon/Amy Big Bang Theory Tiara moment)  I've spent the past 12+ years in pursuit of my career, and that has taken me through many stages.  Undergraduate, Medical School and now Residency.  Each of these tosses your prior life in the air and you are left to gather the important pieces and move forward.  It can be quite exhausting to be shuffled from place to place and group to group.  You are often left to wonder if you will have a "normal" life.  One of the disconcerting things is having yourself or your friends spread cross country with little time left to nourish past friendships. The ones that are important will stick with you and be there for you.  The new ones are sometimes just as wonderful as those you've known your whole life. 

What does this have to do with thirty? Well, It also made me realize that even if I wasn't doing the same things as the average of my generation I was indeed doing something worth while. I have all the important parts.  The friends, the family and most importantly my own unique life experiences that make me what I am. I wouldn't trade them for anything. People who know me well might think that's crazy, but it's true.

No experience or lack of experience in my life is worth giving up so that I can meet arbitrary milestones by an arbitrary deadline.  I will get there on my own path and in my own time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment