Sunday, June 17, 2012

Days in Turkey Round 1 (Çanakkale)



Landing in Istanbul was wonderful. (Despite lost luggage and being treated like a security threat). It meant I got to spend the next twelve days travelling with an amazing man and learning more about his home country.  The first few hours were spent in Istanbul traffic and on the road to Çanakkale Province, along with a ferry ride across the Dardanelles


I just happened to have a small bag of Garrett's popcorn from Chicago to accompany us, and it goes very well with a nice glass of Turkish tea. 







Slept late and then did some shopping to replace some of my missing clothes after a wonderful brunch of typical Turkish breakfast. 


A country after my own heart with cheese and bread at nearly every occasion. (Not sure what jellyfish have to do with that, but I'd never seen 'wild' jellyfish so I was amused.)





And who wouldn't be wooed by a seaside beauty like this. (No idea who's child this was, but she was cute and apparently much more cold tolerant than I am.)





I liked the trash can. (I know that's odd)





Went downtown to be a bit touristy. Walked along the waterfront promenade for a bit. This is the "Trojan Horse that was used in the 2004 "Troy" movie that starred Brad Pitt. (He wasn't there, and much to Love's chagrin neither was Angelina.)

I enjoyed the walk and all the people.  A very diverse country to say the least and I'd only been in two cities.  I'm a people watcher, but am still not brave enough to take pictures of strangers, especially not in a foreign country.
Sometimes you can tell a lot about people from their outdoor spaces, but this on the other hand I can't quite pinpoint.  (Though they did find a use for the abundance of plastic bottles that are used here.)

Prepare to be inundated with photos from my arms length.

These little beauties are delicious, and I would love to find them in the states. They are called eriks, but rumor has it they are sour green plums in English. Anyone who has seen them around central Illinois should let me know!

Met with Love's friends downtown for a night out.  Fun find on the drink menu was a very familiar bourbon list. (Makes a Kentucky girl feel a bit at home.)

But the end decision was Raki.

The Raki made this guy/girl a bit more entertaining. You can tell when someone can't really sing even if you don't know the language.


The view for the night was amazing, such a beautiful city. 



 Apparently Domino's  maintained their 30minute guarantee overseas. 

 Love and I were meant to be together, he's from the country that makes these little bits of heaven, my favorite dessert, baklava. And they make lots of it! If I lived in Turkey I could bypass chubby straight to fat in lightening speed. 



The only thing better than Baklava, eating Baklava with this man!


The end of the first full day, amazing.




No comments:

Post a Comment